mardi 25 mars 2008

What happens when I have a seizure . . .


My seizures almost always happen when I'm sleeping or resting. I have grand mal seizures. That means that my whole body gets rigid and I shake all over. I foam at the mouth, lose control of my bladder and occasionally I express my anal glands. When I start to come out of the seizure I cough a lot and it sounds like I have bad congestion. My feet make a paddling motion and sometimes my tongue turns blue. I usually try to stand up before I'm ready and my mom catches me before I fall.

The period after a seizure is called the post-ictal phase. During this time, which can be very short (hours) or very long (days), I pace frantically around the house. I can't settle down. Sometimes I bark and occasionally I get aggressive. In my worst episode I was blind for a few days. My mom sometimes gives me a valium injection after a seizure. This helps to stop the cluster. Since I've been living with my mom I've had 3 cluster episodes: 5/7 (3 seizures), 6/16-6/17 (6 seizures), and the worst one was 8/26-8/28 (8+ seizures).

Aucun commentaire: